Judges will use a total score for each of the five criteria within each category weighted on a scale from 1 to 5. The scores are tallied for each entry and weighted as indicated. There is a total of 100 points.
- Has a substantive base of knowledge in field: required
- Shows skill in communicating the essay responses: 25 pts
- Effectively summarizes the project in an abstract: 25 pts
- Effectively pursues scientific thought and reasoning: 25 pts
- Shows skill in communicating the research problem(s) and conclusions: 15 pts
- Acknowledgement of sources and major assistance received: 10 pts